Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sex Ed in Harmons

I know that the above title is probably not something you were expecting to come from a mission trip. Well, that makes all of us. Today, I accompanied our middle school girls to the school. All three of us were assigned to the 6th grade. The morning went well, grading papers, hanging out with kids, etc. until after snack time the teacher began her lesson by writing something on the board. "The Reproductive System" As you can imagine, both 14-year-old heads swung back at me wearing expressions that said, "Veronica! What do we do??" It all goes downhill from there...



I will be the first to admit that this trip has not gone according to my plans -- as if anything ever did. I tried to stay outside as much as possible last year. This year I spent one day sewing (2,000 coffee bags. 2,000!), another in the store, and today, I went to the school. I have seen God in so many ways that I wouldn't have expected. There is more joy among people who have nothing than you would believe. God has shown me that sometimes a smile and your hand is the best thing you can offer someone. Above all, I love watching the team that God has put together enthusiastically do whatever needs to be done. The way they love on each other (sarcasm withstanding, of course) and love on the people here reminds me again of why I love Gateway so much. Thank you all for being my family and loving me more than I have ever deserved. I really wish I could find words to tell you all how much you mean to me.

But unfortunately, a game of apples to apples is calling my name.

Missing all of you from home, dreading classes, and wishing I could take Gateway to OBU with me,
Veronica

P.S. Vincent, whatever you are doing, stop it. Just kidding. I love you and miss you and tell Mom and Dad that I miss them as well. And, did you give Amy V the reference form I left for her? Ok, Amy, if you are reading this and you haven't gotten it then go yell at my brother. Ok. That's all.

1 comment:

Cindy B said...

Veronica:
I must admit - the header did surprise, but the explanation said it all! Courtney is missing not being able to have joined the rest of the group on this trip - she would have been all over that sewing thing (she isn't much for hard labor - ask Mick!) - merely for the fact that it was to fill coffee (how at 14 can she like that nasty stuff... too much PaPaw) and just loving on the kids as you three did Thursday. God bless you all for having such loving and open hearts to give even the smallest things, a smile, hug, warm touch, to those you don't even know. Give hugs from Court to Taylor and Logan and from all of us to Mick! We love and respect all the Gateway team is doing in Jamaica! Enjoy Friday afternoon and relaxation on Saturday in Ocho Rios!

Cindy