Friday, January 25, 2008

Petula

This is the last day and probably the last post. There are obviously so many things I could talk about--the poor house, ladies night, the new faces and the old. There are many stories and I encourage you to ask those that came to share many of them. But I think I will share one piece of what God has revealed to me this time in Jamaica.

There is an 18 year old girl here named Petula. I met her last year and have gotten the privilege of spending time with her again this time. I saw her on the first night and got reacquainted. Petula is a Harmons success story--she finished school, doesn't have several kids from different fathers, and is working to make a living. She recently finished cosmetology school and is working that way.

What I love about Petula is this: every time Petula sees me, she slides up next to me, usually holding my hand or locking arms, and sits. That's it. She has very little to say and doesn't require a lot of words from me. She would be content to simply sit with me for hours. At first, this would seem awkward. What does she expect from me? Do I need to come up with something to talk about? But after the first night, she came back and did the same thing. And the next.

This morning I had an epiphany. Petula is an excellent picture of God. He slides up next to me and simply wants me to hang out. He doesn't want to hear my words (I really have little to offer). He simply wants to be with me and for me to be still.

Everyone should have a Petula. Someone who loves just to be with you. And someone who reminds you of how God is.

Other things have been phenomenal as well. God isn't bigger in Jamaica; we simply listen better here. I am grateful for the chance to walk away from "normal" life and be enveloped by a place that seems to have Christ all over it.

See ya when we return!

Lauren Malone

No comments: